Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My parents think I have no friends but I really do?

My parents are weird. They think I have no friends, but I really do. I have tons of friends, since I am just a generally nice person, and I try to be outgoing, and everyone I know thinks I'm a nice person with a nice personality. I think they still live in the generation they grew up in, where guys did their thing and girls did their thing, and guys and girls weren't just "friends" that would go and do stuff together; well, most of my best friends are girls. I get along with girls better, but I'm not gay; I have a girlfriend, but I don't really want to tell my parents. They get mad whenever I mention hanging out with a girl, and they want me to hang out with a guy. They keep saying "you need to make some male friends," and I do have male friends, but I'm just not going to hang out with someone I'm not really good friends with. Whenever they say "you need more male friends," I say that I do, which is true, and they say name one. I hesitate, because I don't have really good friends that are guys, but more that are just colleagues. I think they don't realize that things aren't like they used to be when they were my age. Also, I live in an area where its mainly rednecks, and thats basically what my parents were growing up, and I have always been different. I tend to dress nicely, clean myself often, and keep to myself when necessary. Most guys at my school are the opposite, as they would rather go hunting or play video games or go four-wheeling or something, which I don't care to do. My parents, though, say that if I had more guy friends, that it would "help me." I have no idea why they would say this, because I am happy the way my life is now. My brother, in high school, associated himself with guys, and he was not happy with his life, because he ended up being kind of unpopular, and he wishes he had more friends that were girls. My parents also want me to be into a sport, so I would have something in common with other guys, because most guys here prefer to associate themselves with people like themselves, most of which are involved in football, basketball, etc., in fact, they're talking right now about enrolling me in tennis lessons or something. I really don't want to do that, but they won't accept it. I would rather just relax this summer, but that's just not going to get it with them. They also want me to do housework for them, along with a sport or whatever. Its really their fault that I would rather be lazy, as they have always done housework, chores, etc. for me, and going from doing nothing to doing so much on a daily basis really will be awkward for me. I really try to do stuff with my friends, but with them vacationing, being busy, etc., they can't do anything, but my parents think I don't have any friends to ask to do anything. What can I tell them to try and convince them that I am happy with having good friends that are girls, and I have friends that are guys to where they can believe me? Sorry for all the ranting...

No comments:

Post a Comment